I have always admired the deep red colour of red velvet cakes so some time last week , I decided to try it out by myself.
Eggless Red Velvet Cupcake (with Butter Cream Frosting)
Serving size: 6
1/2 cup of milk (I used soy milk instead)
1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
Slightly more than 1/2 cup of self – raising flour
(Using the self raising flour removes the hassle of adding baking soda and baking powder as the flour contains these ingredients. Alternatively, if you do not have self raising flour , you need to have slightly more than half a cup of all purpose flour , 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and soda.)
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of Cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/6 cup of oil
1 tablespoon of red food colouring
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1.Preheat the oven at 350F/180C for 10 minutes.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar , allowing it to curdle. This will take about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile , in a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and sugar.
4.Once the milk has curdled, stir in the oil , food colour and vanilla extract. Whisk it well to combine.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients to it, stirring it all until all the ingredients come together. Ensure not to over beat them.
6. Fill each tin of the tray 3/4 full.
7 . Bake it for about 20 minutes. (Mine took about 18 minutes)
8. After the baking has been completed , let the cupcakes cool before frosting it.
Butter Cream Frosting
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cups of Confectioner’s Sugar
1 tablespoon of butter
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
Whisk it well.
2. Pour it in a small resealable snack bag. Put it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
3. Then cut one of the corners in the bag (make it look like a cone ) and pour your frosting through it on the cupcake.
I couldn’t take pictures after the frosting was done..so here are some from Google.
This recipe is a modified version of the original recipe which can be found here:
Point to note:
Curdling of the milk is kinda optional as you can still do the cupcake without curdling ( My mum has been baking cupcakes all these while with no curdling) . Tbh, I don’t know what is the purpose of curdling the milk.
When you cut the corner of the resealable bag, make sure it’s big. Or else , your cream will start flowing out like river.
Hope you like it!